“My work relates mainly to water and can be divided into two distinct areas. These are the landscape above and the fish life below. I use oil paint in both aspects of my work, but in very different ways.
In my paintings of fish I apply the paint in a very controlled way, while in my seascapes I use thicker paint, with washes of turpentine, letting the paint dictate the final direction of the painting.”
- Edinburgh College of Art 1983-1986
- Edinburgh College of Art Postgraduate Diploma 1987
PRIZES AND AWARDS
- Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant, Canada in 1987 and 1992
- David Cargill Award, RGI in 1996
- Cuthbert Award, RGI in 2002
- Windsor & Newton Award, RSW at the RSA in 2005
- RSW Small Painting Award, RSW at the RSA in 2008
- Donald Provan has had many solo shows including regular solo shows at the Open Eye Gallery in Edinburgh and has widely exhibited in group shows across the UK. Since 2008 he has shown regularly with Cameron Contemporary Art at Art Fairs, Pop-ups and now in the gallery.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland
- The University of St Andrews
- The City of Edinburgh Council - Jean F Watson Bequest
- Edinburgh College of Art
- Private collections worldwide